About Me Tutorials Contact Me Via Social Media! Visit Brittany's Joy Store

Thursday, April 26, 2012

taking rentership - vase makeover

Low-cost, high impact, multipurpose. My home decor checklist.


When husband and I were thinking about wedding reception decor, we faced the same problem that we're having in our home: everything was so white! We ended up bringing color to the tables using bottles we had painted with our wedding colors.  
.
I thought we could do something similar with our table at home. Rather than painting the outside of the bottles, though, which gave a nice matte appearance, I tried something different. I got inspired by Martha. As usual.
My version // Martha Stewart's version 
.
I loved how shiny and deep the color on her bottles looked! She got the effect by swirling enamel paint on the inside of the bottles, rather than painting the outsides. 
.
For my version, I just used regular 'ol paint, though. Enamel paint was pretty and all, but it was pricey, and it seemed wasteful to buy it for one project {and for a project I wasn't even sure would work, too!}
The process was pretty simple: I just dumped a little paint in them, swirled it around for a while until the inside was coated well, and then turned them upside-down to dry.  For the smaller "vase" {formerly a glass candle}, I added some white paint to the teal so they wouldn't match so much. It took about a day to dry for the large vase, overnight for the smaller one. 
It was pretty messy, but a quick wipe with a damp cloth took care of the drips. I love them. And with the little yellow vase I thrifted last week, I'm starting to shape the color scheme in there!

.
Thing is, since I used interior paint rather than the special enamel stuff, my vases aren't waterproof. Which, if you think about it, is a pretty dumb characteristic for a vase.
.
But wait! I totally thought of that. The smaller cylindrical vase is the perfect size for a tea light holder (or shot glass, when I can't find my tea light holder). For the larger vase, I can just barely sneak a plastic cup inside the mouth.
Tricky tricky. But once the flowers are in there, you can't even tell.
 
 We're all ready for Spring! :)
Photobucket
Linking up to:
 
Shabby Creek Cottage
A Crafty Soiree
TDC Before and After

3 comments:

  1. Girl, great minds think alike! You and I have similar posts over at The Shabby Creek Cottage and I like BOTH of them. I want to try your technique too with the more opaque paint. You are so smart to think to add a holder within the vase to protect the paint finish. I am following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so domestic. These are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it...now I need to go find some vases at the thrift store!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments!
Anonymous comments will be automatically rejected, so please use the name/URL option if you don't have a blog.

If you do have a blog, please check to make sure your email is linked to your profile so I can respond to your comments! Follow this simple tutorial to make sure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...