About Me Tutorials Contact Me Via Social Media! Visit Brittany's Joy Store

Monday, April 2, 2012

Neon Stone Necklace // diy



Neon is HUGE right now, and I completely LOVE it {that could be because I blessedly missed the neon-soaked 80's}. However, as much as I like to bust myself out of my wear-mostly-neutrals rut, I don't really want to go out dressed like a highlighter.

That's where accessories come in! Here are a couple I am currently drooling over:

 Kate Spade, $278 // Kendra Scott via Nordstrom, $118 // Jcrew, $150

Some more {slightly cheaper} statement pieces for inspiration:

Aida Kibur via Pink Mascara (sold out) // Ann Taylor // Pree Brulee 

So loverrly. Don't their bright colors make them look like candy?? I just want to eat them. But of course, being me, the first thing I notice are the prices. I'd never pay that much, EVUH. So, it's DIY or Die ;)

I bought this monstrosity (from JCPenney; go big or go home), and got to work. A coupla coats of primer and nailpolish later, I had this:


{it started out like this:}
The necklace arrived at my doorstep in pieces. 
Since the stones on the necklace I bought were multi-colored, I gave all the stones a once-over with some primer. My necklace was a piece of crap and the stones kept popping out {see above}, so I just took 'em all out and gave them a squirt of primer-from-a-can {I've heard of other people who paint without primer, but the stones end up being see-through and that's gross.}. 
I put the stones in their settings for picture purposes only :) I liked the primer so much I almost left them like this!
When the primer dried, I just painted each stone liberally with bright-colored nail polish {I chose a bright coralish-tangerineish color, in on-trend with the Pantone Color of the Year}. It took about two coats for the look I wanted. After the paint had set long enough to dry, I sprayed the heck out of them with spray-polyurethane. {it acts as a kind of topcoat to your nail polish. This stuff isn't going ANYWHERE.}

Afterwards, I dabbed a little bit of "never-let-go" E-6000 glue on the edges of the stones with a toothpick and stuck 'em back in.


See? Pretty easy :)

And since poorly-lit nighttime photos in my PJs don't do the color justice, here's what it looks like in natural light

Necklace: $13 
Paint: $1
Total Savings: $98-$258 (!)

Fine by me :)


TDC Before and After





6 comments:

  1. absolutely adore these big statement pieces. and the necklace transformation turned out GREAT!!!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zomgah. love thisssss. I have been having the hardest time finding jewelry in the style and color I want. I don't know why I didn't think to make some of my own! And I love the "DIY or die" saying. I think this deserves a spot on my to-do board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing idea! I LOVE the orange one.

    Don't forget to enter The Shabby Apple giveaway on my blog for a chance to enter a dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever - you rock... ha ha. I'm with you; the primer is super cute... but the pantone-coral is a winner - great job!
    http://partycraftsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great knock-off/refashion!! Love the color you chose too. So fun and HUGE savings! Thanks for linking up to DIY Divas! Id love to feature you sometime, so please be sure to link back to our party somewhere in your post or on your blog.

    Thanks!
    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! I can't believe I didn't link back; I'm usually really good about that. I've added the button :) (and am a new follower, can't wait to see what everyone's been working on!).

      Delete

Thanks for your lovely comments!
Anonymous comments will be automatically rejected, so please use the name/URL option if you don't have a blog.

If you do have a blog, please check to make sure your email is linked to your profile so I can respond to your comments! Follow this simple tutorial to make sure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...