About Me Tutorials Contact Me Via Social Media! Visit Brittany's Joy Store

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

graduation weekend

Had a super fun time in San Diego this weekend celebrating my brother and his fiance as they graduated college. Such a great milestone!

Switching their tassels. Dev's in the front on the left!
You ever meet "those people" who knew pretty much as soon as they are born what they want to be when they grew up? I'm not sure if my brother felt this way, but I always knew he would become an engineer. He was always taking stuff apart and putting it (mostly) back together; always going outside the box when it came to Tinker Toys or Erector sets; designing and building his own guitars. Always doodling one type of concept car or another on any available space.

When he chose to major in Engineering, it came as no surprise to any of us.

The family (minus mom, who's behind the camera) waiting for the names to be read.
The graduation ceremony was actually quite enjoyable (quick and painless--it was a small graduating class), but the time spent together as a family was the most priceless part.

Love my brother!
Dev and Adri, who graduated on Friday!  They're getting married in November. Adorbs.
We had our post-graduation dinner at the Marine Room in La Jolla-- OHMYGOSH what a worth-it splurge!

Dinner was when we gave Devon his graduation gift. More than two years ago (when I was wedding planning and he was in the middle of his college career), I ran across an engineering tradition in Canada called the Iron Ring ceremony. A similar tradition exists in the US using a plain stainless steel ring. Devon's school did not participate in the Order of the Engineer, but I thought the idea was so cool that I imitated it in my graduation gift to him.

I have since discovered that membership in the Order is reserved for graduates at the masters level and higher, but I still think the concept is worth knowing right out of college too!


In an official Ring Ceremony, graduates take the following oath:

I am an engineer; in my profession I take deep pride.

To it I owe solemn obligations.

Since the Stone Age, human progress has been spurred by the engineering genius.

Engineers have made usable nature’s vast resources of material and energy for humanity’s benefit.
Engineers have vitalized and turned to practical use the principles of science and the means of technology.
Were it not for this heritage of accumulated experience, my efforts would be feeble.
As an engineer, I pledge to practice integrity and fair dealing, tolerance, and respect and to uphold devotion to the standards and the dignity of my profession, conscious always that my skill carries with it the obligation to serve humanity by making the best use of earth’s precious wealth.
As an engineer, I shall participate in none but honest enterprises.
When needed, my skill and knowledge shall be given without reservation for the public good.  In the performance of duty and in fidelity to my profession, I shall give the utmost.
Cool, right? I think all professions should have an oath.

I typed the oath out on the typewriter so Devon could read it when he opened his gift (partly because typewriters are awesome and partly because our printer was out of ink). Like initiates into this order, I also gave Devon a ring engraved with a simple message:

"I AM AN ENGINEER".

(I found the ring and had it engraved here)
The ring is meant to be worn on the little finger of the engineer's dominant hand, so that it comes into contact with all of his/her work. Devon's ring was a tad snug, but it still serves as a reminder to have integrity, honesty, and pride in the Engineering profession. 


Devon, I am so incredibly proud of you. You have persevered through a very difficult major and have a bright and exciting future ahead of you. Whatever you do, do it for the Lord! It was such an honor to celebrate you this weekend.
I love you, little brother!

1 comment:

Thanks for your lovely comments!
Anonymous comments will be automatically rejected, so please use the name/URL option if you don't have a blog.

If you do have a blog, please check to make sure your email is linked to your profile so I can respond to your comments! Follow this simple tutorial to make sure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...