|Photos from this post|
oasis space, right??!) and it was TIME! The clutter was stressing us out, and since it had been long enough between the start of the project that I'd forgotten what a pain it was to use wood glue on furniture, I figured it was time to finish this puppy. Time to skinnify up some drawers!
Click to see the tutorial.
The process began with the re-installation of all of the drawer slides and support braces. The drawer slides were supposed to be screwed into place on the front of the dresser, but that would have gone straight through the glue that connected the two halves of the dresser together. Rather than threaten the structural integrity, I glued the slides into place with a dab of Gorilla glue. The back brace was held in place the same way.
To assemble the new drawers, I started by putting the bottom and sides together, and finished by attaching the backs. This part was hard to photograph since I was doing this by myself, forgive the crooked pictures! Because I took the drawers apart carefully, the grooves to hold the back and bottom were still intact, so a little glue inside the groove kept the pieces secure enough to start.
I also reinforced each line of glue with a small finishing nail, to make sure the pieces were attached firmly.
Once the glue was dried and the drawers could be handled without falling apart, I filled in the cracks and holes in the front with wood filler.
I made a really wonky cut on one of the drawers unfortunately, so there was a fairly large gap to fill on that one. Since it would take a lot of putty to fill that all the way up, I slid a few spare pieces of wood inside the crack to partially fill it, then puttied around the pieces.
I made sure to put in more putty than it seemed would be necessary, because it was easier to sand it all down than have to re-fill them again.
When the putty was dry, a quick pass of the belt sander made the drawer fronts smooth as a baby's bottom! (an orbital sander or regular sandpaper is fine too, it just would take longer). And that's it!
I did all the drawers the same way save the bottom one. I wanted a spot for my printer, and decided that just the drawer face was necessary in that case. :).
|2 coats primer, 3 coats color. Brush strokes are nearly invisible.|
|A few coats of spray poly later...... and it's done!|
The dresser has taken residence downstairs in our living room. The pop of teal beneath the TV plays well with the colors we have in there already, and it ties in our custom-colored DIY chalkboard that's done in the same color (even though you it doesn't look the same color in this photo, I promise it is!)