About Me Tutorials Contact Me Via Social Media! Visit Brittany's Joy Store

Monday, October 15, 2012

motivate me, please

I feel like everyone I know is getting into shape or training for some running something-or-other. But here's the deal: I don't run. At all. None of my family does. And for good reason!

We're like, pretty dang nordic. There's some Armenian thrown in there, but on the whole, we're like this:



Except maybe not as attractive.

My brother said it best: "Our people were not made to run. We were made to swing hammers and conquer continents and stuff. Running was for the people we were attacking." Silly, but true.

Brother was called "Nordic Viking" in High School. I could max out the leg-press machine at the gym with one leg. It's just in our genes. We've always been strong.

But running? Yeah, not so much.

When Tim signed up and started training for a half-marathon, I just didn't have the same drive as he did (or the capability, to be honest. It would take me a LONG time before I can run thirteen-plus miles again.). I didn't have the motivation of losing weight, and even though I knew that I had to get my cardio up, it's hard to be motivated to start doing something like that if you're skinny. And what's the point if you're just running to reach a finish line?

BOooooring!

BUT I know that I need to work on increasing my activity. I used to be able to run a lot more than I can now; now, my heart and lungs start to really suffer if I do a moderate hike in altitude.

So. I'm biting the bullet.
I've registered for a 5k. (paltry distance compared to hubby's half marathon, but that's not the point. It's more than 0, my current ability).
But there's more. It's a MUD RUN. With obstacles and stuff. (they don't do color runs in December, which would have been my first choice).
This is to make the no-point-to-running-for-a-finish-line person in me happy, because racing in and of itself wasn't going to cut it for me for my first "competitive run" ever.
I'll be following the Couch to 5k running plan, so we'll see how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. I had a friend who did couch to 5K and said it was an awesome program, so I'm wishing you the best of luck! I'm not a runner either (though I would argue I'm not strong either ;)) but I'm sure you'll do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm sure you've met people on the way who have told you this, but you don't have to be born a runner! No one in my family runs. We are semi-athletic, but everyone hates running. Well, on a whim I joined the cross country team in high school. My senior year, I was the slowest girl on the JV team - but I did not care. I had so much fun. I had always hated running, and being in an organized running group taught me to love it. Now I get a huge adrenaline rush from going for runs. I can't motivate myself to do it, but I'm in a boot camp that runs a lot. You should look for running groups near you! It always helps to have other people! And, of course, to reward yourself afterwards with a smoothie every once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couch to 5K is awesome. I am doing it now and I even have an app on my phone that helps track when its time to run or walk. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments!
Anonymous comments will be automatically rejected, so please use the name/URL option if you don't have a blog.

If you do have a blog, please check to make sure your email is linked to your profile so I can respond to your comments! Follow this simple tutorial to make sure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...